Dreamer Alumni are connected to the “I Have A Dream” Foundation in a consistent and meaningful way that provides a community of support for Alumni as well as current Dreamers.
Who is a Part of the Dreamer Alumni Network?
All Dreamers in a cohort become a member of the Dreamer Alumni Network after their expected date of High School graduation. For the first 6 years after becoming Alumni, the Dreamer Alumni fall into one of two categories: Pursuing Postsecondary Degree/Certificate (i.e. participating in IHDF Great Expectations & Post-Secondary Scholarships); or Pursuing Employment and Career. For details regarding services provided during the first 6 years after becoming a Dreamer Alum, please refer to the Postsecondary Success section.
IHDF maintains a communication strategy to effectively collect data, share information, and connect Alumni with each other. The communication strategy includes:
- The National Dreamer Alumni Newsletter produced and distributed twice annually
- The National Dreamer Alumni Survey conducted once annually
- The National Dreamer Database kept up-to-date with basic contact information, academic achievement data, and employment information
The organization endeavors to support a National Alumni Council and help to facilitate the creation of local Alumni Councils in coordination with IHDF affiliates. Each Alumni Council consists of a group of approximately 8-12 dedicated Dreamer Alumni. The Alumni Councils generally are tasked with the following objectives:
- Provide leadership to organize Alumni Network initiatives
- Give guidance and advice to IHDF, potentially via representation on Boards of Directors
- Facilitate the continuity and sustainability of the Alumni Network
Alumni Network Programming
While specific initiatives are guided by the self-defined priorities of the national and local alumni councils, the National “I Have A Dream” Foundation supports programming in the following areas:
- Alumni networking and social activities
- Community service and volunteering with current Dreamers
- Facilitating internship and employment opportunities
- Leadership development